September 11, 2020
- Posted By IELTS Tutorials IELTS Academic / March 25, 2020
IELTS writing can be quite tricky if you are looking for various methods to lift your score from band 5 to 7+. Many times students refer to numerous study materials and create more confusion for themselves.
Making some common but highly avoidable mistakes can lead you on losing out a band 7+ score. The aspirants must be aware of the various blunders they may end up making, albeit inadvertently.
You must check all the following and easy tips to know what it takes to excel in the IELTS writing exam. IELTS Academic Writing has two tasks; IELTS Writing Task 1 and IELTS Writing Task 2.
IELTS Writing Task 1 judges test takers by their ability to describe facts/figures presented in graphs, charts or tables on a related topic.
IELTS Writing Task 2 tests aspirants on their ability to write on a given topic in an academic and semi-formal or neutral style.
The evaluation for both the tasks depends on four specific criterion that an examiner evaluates your paper on, which are as follows:
- Task Response
- Coherence & Cohesion
- Lexical Resource
- Grammatical Range & Accuracy
Task response evaluates a candidate on the comprehension and response skills to a given task. A candidate has to cover every aspect of the question, not missing out any part asked.
The candidate is expected to cover all requirements of the task sufficiently, present and highlight the main features/bullet points clearly and appropriately.
The candidate must stick with the topic throughout the end. You can't miss out a part of the question and ramble on without a purpose.
For instance, if the question asks for the aspirant's opinion, then he/she should give it, without hesitation.
To achieve this end, you must:
- Take some time to read all the instructions carefully.
- Support general statements with evidence leading to a logical conclusion.
- Spend some time to think about the structure and the flow of your essay.
Coherence & Cohesion:
To score better on Coherence & Cohesion, you should skilfully utilize paragraphing to logically and coherently chart out the flow of your ideas, and the information so that there is a clear progression throughout the task.
- It is always better to present a clear central topic or idea in every paragraph.
- The paragraphs should be well demarcated for the evaluator to understand.
- Leave out 1 or 2 lines between two sections so that the evaluator can follow the flow of ideas without much difficulty.
- Avoid redundancy or the repetition of the same ideas throughout your answers.
The lexical resource is another for vocabulary. This section tests your vocabulary, command over lexical features, choice of words, and clarity.
- To ace this section, the test-taker should use an extensive vocabulary.
- Test-takers must demonstrate great control of lexical features.
- There must be adequate stress placed on word choice. Use of the precise word to describe something is vital.
- Avoid spelling errors and word formation mistakes.
- Don't repeat the same words from your vocabulary throughout. Use synonyms, or better, plan what words you intend to use right from the beginning.
- Take some time to check your writing to avoid repetitions.
Grammatical Range & Accuracy:
This section tests you for your flexibility and accuracy with English grammar. Excellent use of grammar, punctuation must be displayed by the candidate.
You have to showcase your writing skills with a variety of sentence types. The more you use complex sentences in your writing, the more you increase the chances of getting a high score.
Therefore, the right amount of IELTS writing practice is required. If you are not getting it right all by yourself, then take the help of IELTS writing correction service.
Here are some tips:
- The candidate should use a wide range of sentence structures.
- Avoid errors and inappropriate usage.
- Don't commit errors within your sentences
- Take care of your grammar and punctuations.
If you want to avail the Writing Correction Service, then you should download the IELTS Writing App. With an extensive collection of sample question, you can enhance your writing skills and can also take the benefit of IELTS writing correction services
IELTS Writing App is a free and self-preparation guide that boost your skills entirely and upgrade your performance to achieve the desired score in the exam.