IELTS Reading Table & Flowchart Completion Questions with 7-steps Strategy
Many students are afraid to solve table completion and flowchart completion questions of IELTS Reading exam. They seem harder, but your correct strategy and techniques will help you to do well in the exam.
Check all the information and tips that you need to do well in the IELTS Reading Exam.
- Understand the Format of the Question Type
- Skills that You Need to Do Well in the IELTS Reading Exam
- Key IELTS Reading Tips to solve Table and Flowchart Questions
- The Strategies for IELTS Academic and General Training Reading Practice
Understand the Format of the Question Type
In this type of question, a table of information will be given with some gaps in it. You will need to fill the gap with appropriate answers from the given reading passage.
You may also find a flowchart where the process of completing the chart will be the same as the table.
Focus on the instructions because here, you will be asked to fill the gaps with only a few words. Read them carefully. Some of the options might confuse you, e.g., NOT MORE THAN THREE WORDS.
If you write more/fewer words than mentioned in the question, then your answer will be marked incorrect despite if you give the right answer.
Skills that You Need to Do Well in the IELTS Reading Exam
Like all other IELTS Reading tasks, it also tests your ability to:
- Scan and skim all the general information
- Identify the synonyms and antonyms
- Understand the paraphrasing
- Find out the meaning of a sentence
The information in the passage and the questions will remain the same, but it is likely to be paraphrased or will include any synonyms or antonyms.
Use your scanning skills to locate the correct words in the passage and paraphrase the language to find the answer you need to fill the gap in the table or flowchart.
Key IELTS Reading Tips to Solve Table and Flowchart Questions
- Apply a step-by-step strategy to simplify the questions of table and flowchart completion.
- Don't panic in the exam room if you find it unfamiliar; try to solve the questions with step-by-step strategy. Continue your IELTS Reading preparation to overcome the challenge.
- The order of getting questions might be different from the information given in the reading passage.
- Don't use synonyms in your answer. Fill the gaps with right words, or it will be marked as incorrect.
- Identify the type of word which is missing in your answer. For example, a noun, a verb, an adjective or an adverb. It will be easy for you to trace the perfect word for your answer.
- Keep busy your mind to find the synonyms and paraphrasing sentences. Look for the matching meaning rather than finding for the exact word in the table or text.
- Find the location first to identify and then read the passage in detail to find the answer.
- The completed sentence must be grammatically correct. Check before you submit to save your IELTS scores.
- Use the little clues that you will find the passage and the questions.
- If you don't understand any vocabulary, try to find the answer from the context and other clues.
The Strategies for IELTS Academic & General Training Reading Practice
Follow the mentioned 7-steps strategies in your IELTS Reading Practice to boost your confidence.
Step 1: Read all the instructions carefully; a small mistake can cost you a lot. Be careful about the required words to fill in the gaps.
Step 2: Understand the layout of the table and the flowchart to know the subject and content.
Step 3: Quickly read through the passage and questions to get an idea of what information you need to fill in the gaps.
Step 4: Go through all the paragraphs and write keywords or ideas beside each paragraph to find the information later.
Step 5: Go to the questions and select the best keyword and now try to see them in the passage. Here the step-4 strategy will help you to find the correct answer.
Step 6:Remember that you will also find some of the synonym words and paraphrasing sentences. Don't forget to check the word limit, and your answer is making sense.
Step 7: Write down your answer in the sheet and repeat the process to find the remaining answers.
Takeaway Message: Write down your answer in the sheet and repeat the process to find the remaining answers.
Signup IELTS Tutorials to get assured 20+ FREE IELTS Academic and General Reading Practice Tests. Make your preparation effective to achieve the desired score.