January 03, 2020
- Posted By IELTS Tutorials IELTS Tips / February 02, 2018
If you are going to appear for IELTS Test, you would be aware of the Grammar, Vocabulary, and other things that play an important role in acquiring high score. But, the significant use of capital letters is something that many candidates engrossed in IELTS Test preparation overlook most of the times.
Some candidates who know the importance of using capital letters are bewildered with its correct usage.
Will it affect my IELTS Score if I make mistake in using capital letters?
Are there any specific rules set to use capital letters?
Can I write all my answers in capital letters in IELTS Exam?
Well, this post is for all those IELTS aspirants who are unaware about the use of Capital Letters in IELTS Exam and those who are aware about its importance but are aspiring to get a high score.
Know the role of capital letters in IELTS Listening, Reading and Writing Tests and make sure you use them appropriately to ace your IELTS Test.
Use of Capital Letters in IELTS Listening Test
You can make use of either capital letters, small letters, or a combination of both while writing your answers in IELTS Listening Test.
You can make use of any of the above methods to write your response. There are no particular rules set for capitalization for Listening Test. But, ensure that you spell the word correctly. Else you will lose marks.
However, you get extra 10 minutes to transfer your answers onto the answer sheet in IELTS Listening Test. So, if you have poor handwriting, we suggest you to write your answers in capital letters. This makes it easy for the examiner to read what you have written.
Use of Capital Letters in IELTS Reading Test
The rules for capitalization in IELTS Reading Test is same as that of IELTS Listening Test. The only difference between the two is that you don’t get extra minutes to transfer your answers onto the answer sheet. So, you need to as quick as possible in noting your response.
Writing in capital letters usually consumes more time. It is thus, advisable to write in lowercase. Just make sure that your response is readable.
Use of Capital Letters in IELTS Writing Test
IELTS Academic Writing Test examines your writing skills in different aspects – Grammar, Vocabulary, Spelling, Collocation, Punctuation, and so on. Though you can choose to write your Essay Writing Task in capital letters, we won’t advise you to do so. Here’s why:
- You are bounded to complete your Essay Writing Task within the specified time limit. But, if you choose to write it in capital letters, you might run short of time. Hence, your task won’t be completed and you would lose marks
- As said earlier, IELTS Writing Test is assessed or marked depending on the usage of proper Punctuation, Grammar, and similar aspects. So, it is important that you show the correct use of small and capital letters. For example, you must start a new sentence with a capital letter
Thus, you must write your essay in lowercase but make appropriate use of capital letters where necessary. Along with Capital Letters, you must also see to it that you make no Grammar or Punctuation mistakes.
There are some specific rules of capitalization that you must follow while writing your Essay and Letter/Report tasks.
1. Always start NEW SENTENCE with capital letter
Let’s take an example.
John has confirmed that he can attend the meeting. But, Simon is out of the country.
2. You must start the word with capital letters while writing DAYS and MONTHS
I will be leaving from here next Friday.
Holi is celebrated in the month of March.
3. NAMES and TITLES are always initiated with a capital letter
Jack fought with James.
Mr. Smith is on leave.
4. Rule 3 also applies while you mention any COUNTRY or CITY in your sentence
Here’s an example.
Delhi is the capital of India.
5. While stating name of POPULAR PLACES or MONUMENTS, it is essential to use capital letter
Paris is known for Eifel Tower.
6. The pronoun ‘I’ is always written in capital letter irrespective of its placement in the sentence
Let’s consider an example.
Hello, I’m Chloe.
7. NATIONALITIES and LANGUAGES also start with a capital letter
She is speaking English.
I’m a Russian.
8. If you use ACRONYMS, they must be in capital letters
IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
Beware of These Mistakes While Using Capital Letters
Avoid use of capital letters while writing linking words like but, and, because. These words NEVER start with a capital letter. Why? That is because they are connectors and you should not use them to start your sentence.
Thinking what about the IELTS Speaking Test? Well, you don’t have to write anything for your speaking test. The notes that you make for Part 2 – Long Turn won’t be assessed. So, you can write in whichever way you want.
You must know the use of proper capitalization for your writing tasks. Spending your time and efforts to learn capitalization while undergoing IELTS Test preparation will ensure that you don’t lose marks in the IELTS Test. You can even attempt free IELTS practice tests on IELTS Tutorials to determine your progress and thus, improve for the actual test.
IELTS Academic Writing Task 1: Tips with A Sample Question
Why Are IELTS Test Results Withheld or Delayed?
December 17, 2019
Get Expert Tips on How to Prepare for the IELTS & Achieve High Score
December 03, 2019
Improvise Your IELTS Speaking Score with these Proven Strategies
November 07, 2019